Works have been performed in 27 states and seven countries.
Audio samples, program notes, texts, scores, and parts upon request.
Symphony No. 1—Paths of Peace
- (1999-2000), large orchestra, mezzo-soprano and baritone soloists, Suzuki string ensemble, 35 minutes.
- (1997), large orchestra, 10 minutes.
A Glimpse of River
- (1996), string orchestra, 4 minutes.
Overture of the Open Road
- (1988), large orchestra, 9 minutes.
• Soloist(s) and Orchestra
The Periodic Table—Piano Concerto No. 2
- (2007), piano solo and eight players (2009).
- (2008), violin solo and chamber orchestra, 24 minutes.
Arguing with God
- (2006), concerto for klezmer musicians (4) and chamber orchestra, 34 minutes.
Interferon, or Piano Concerto
- (2000-01), piano solo and large orchestra, 19 minutes.
- (1984), viola solo and chamber orchestra, 22 minutes.
• Works for 2-5 players
An arch never sleeps, for violin and double bass
Everything Under the Sun: Four Seasons for Two Violins
Hubbert Peak: Three Gas Stations for String Quartet
- (2008), 10 minutes.
Dr. Johnson and Mr. Savage: Pantomine for Violinist and Cellist
- for violin and piano (2007).
- for piano trio (2006), 10 minutes.
- for english horn and piano (2006), 4 minutes.
The Pedagogy of Grief
Third Viola Sonata
- (2004), viola and piano, 18 minutes.
A Chance for the Soul
- for trombone and piano (2003).
A Grammar of Hope: Quintet for Piano and Strings
- (2002-2003), 35 minutes.
Eleusis: 15 Aspects of a Mystery
- for violin and piano (2000), 12 minutes.
The Entire World: Three Jewish Songs from Eastern Europe
- , for flute, violin, and cello (1997), 7 minutes.
String Quartet No. 4
- (1996), 11 minutes.
- , fanfare for two horns and two trumpets (1994), 3 minutes.
Songs of Rest and Unrest—Second Viola Sonata
- (1993-94), viola and piano, 13 minutes.
- for two violas (1994), 2 minutes.
- for string quartet (1992), 5 minutes.
A Tree of Life
- : fantasy for clarinet, cello, and piano (1992), 9 minutes.
Seven for Three
- for oboe, horn, and piano (1991-92), 11 minutes.
A View of Jerusalem
- , fanfare for brass, percussion, and organ (1990), 4 minutes.
Quintet for Winds
- (1990), 12 minutes.
- for string trio (1989), 5 minutes.
Duo (In Which Pooh Dances a Hoop in the Sand)
- , for violin and cello (1988), 6 minutes.
String Quartet No. 3
- (1986-87), 16 minutes.
First Viola Sonata
- (1986), viola and piano, 14 minutes.
String Quartet No. 2
- (1985), 17 minutes.
- for Violin and Viola (1983), 7 minutes.
- for Cello and Piano (1982-83), 13 minutes.
String Quartet No. 1
- (1982), 12 minutes.
- for Piano Trio (1981), 7 minutes.
• Solo voice(s) and up to 5 players (Permission for the use of all copyrighted texts has been secured)
Five Bucolics: A Cycle of Songs on Poems by Maurice Manning
- for tenor and piano (2010), 14 minutes.
Prayer for Our Daughters
- for soprano and piano (2001), text by Mark Jarman, 4 minutes.
- , madrigal for vocal quintet (1995), text by Donald Davie, 4 minutes.Scenes from “The Mayor of Casterbridge” for soprano and piano, text by Mark Jarman.
The Way In: Four Songs for Baritone and Piano
- texts by Rilke (translated by Robert Bly) and Mary Oliver, 12 minutes.
Five Songs for High Voice and Piano
- (1985), texts by Novalis, Lorca, Mary Oliver,
- Robert Francis, and Rilke (translations by Robert Bly), 14 minutes.
- for baritone, violin, and viola (1985), text from the Song of Songs, 3 minutes.
- (1982), a setting of four poems of William Carlos Williams
- for soprano and woodwind quintet, 11 minutes.
(Permission for the use of all copyrighted texts has been secured)
- for mixed chorus (1996), text by Yehuda Amichai, 2 minutes.
A Cypress Shall Rise
- for baritone soloist, chorus, and organ (1995),
- text from Isaiah (both original Hebrew and JPS translation), 6 minutes.
- for mixed chorus (1987), text by Mary Oliver, 4 minutes.
- for mixed chorus (1986), text by Ernest Dowson, 2 minutes.
God Speaks to Man But Once
- (1983)A part-song for mixed chorus and violin on a
- text by Rainer Maria Rilke (translated by Robert Bly), 3 minutes.
• Solo keyboard
Thoroughfare of Light
- for piano (2002-03), 9 minutes.
- for piano (1999), 13 minutes.
- for piano (1995), 8 minutes.
- for small harpsichord (1990), 5 minutes.
Four Poetic Images
- for piano (1988), 10 minutes.
- for piano, after George Rochberg (1987), 3 minutes.
- (1987), 8 minutes.
Piano Sonata in One Movement
- (1983), 7 minutes.
• Solo instrumental
- for solo violin (2006), 3 minutes.
Three Short Obsessions
- for solo violin (2004), 5 minutes.
The Search for Delicious
- for solo flute (2003), 4 minutes.
- for solo viola (1988), 3 minutes.
Sonata for Unaccompanied Violin
- (1985-86), 15 minutes.
- : ballet in one act (2004), violin and piano, 9 minutes.
The Night of the Iguana
- : ballet in one act (2003), medium orchestra (single winds and brass, percussion, solo piano, large complement of strings), 18 minutes.
- : ballet in one act (1990), solo dancer, flute, and cello, 9 minutes.
The Mayor of Casterbridge
- : opera in four acts (1992), based on the Thomas Hardy novel, libretto by Mark Jarman (commissioned by Nashville Opera, unproduced to this date), 1 hour and 40 minutes.
• Music for young performers
- for Suzuki violinists and cellists (1996), 3 minutes.